Razor sharp images depend on perfectly calibrated focal sensors.
That’s why so many professional photographers send their equipment to us on a regular basis, and why we’ve developed a fast-track service.
- Is the lens correctly set up?
We can check this by projecting the lens to see if the projected image is up to specification. A drop, knock or general wear can easily put this out.
- Is the lens focusing at the correct point?
We establish this by attaching the lens to one of our factory zero bodies. If the results are all correct, we then examine the camera body.
- Is the body responding correctly?
The first step is to measure the body depth to CMOS alignment by means of our laser depth analyser. We can check to within .001 of a millimetre.
We will then begin a series of tests and adjustments to set every one of the camera’s AF sensors. This ensures they are calibrated to read the correct distance and contrast response.
The next step is to run the system check with body and lens together. At this stage if any errors are seen we can then match the two together.
- What do the actual photographs reveal?
We often ask for images on focus issues, as these can be very helpful in diagnosing any problems.
For instance, using an EF 85mm 1.4 lens focused on a subject’s face at 6 feet away at the widest aperture of 1.4, on a cropped sensor, the depth of field will be about 3cm. Any slight movement by the photographer or subject will put the focus point out with the effect of front of rear focusing.
Using all AF points on certain subjects can also confuse the results, making the subject appear out of focus. Therefore we suggest you follow these basic guidelines when shooting your sample images:
- Use a tripod or support the camera on a handy fixed object, wall, table or windowsill.
- Do not use Ai servo when shooting stationary subjects.
- Check that the focus point your camera is set to is the one you require.
- Hold the camera with both hands.
- On long exposures, use the self timer as this will reduce camera shake.
- Shoot 2-3 images for submission.
To find out more about our Focus Setup service, drop us a line or call 01206 84 33 22.